Whew! I've been spending a good deal of the afternoon doing keyword research for some new Squidoo lenses that I'm planning. It's a lot of work!
I've come to the conclusion, though, that even though it's worth the time to do keyword research, sometimes you just have to stop and make the lens already! I knew little to nothing about keyword research when I made some of my most successful lenses and they're still doing well. Of course there are the others that could use a makeover of the "tags" field . . .
There are plenty of resources on Squidoo that help teach how to do keyword research on Squidoo - check out this search if you don't believe me - but certainly it's far more fun to just put a lens together. I think the 80/20 rule applies here: Spend 80 percent of your time researching and 20 percent of your time actually making the lens. Then spend 80 percent of the rest of your time promoting the lens, but that's a subject for another day.
How do you feel about keyword research for Squidoo? Do you bother with it? How much time do you spend researching keywords? Is it worth it? Leave a comment; I'd love to know what you think.
Oh yes, keyword research is key, and sadly, I ignored it for the first year or so I was on Squidoo. Like you, I had a few lucky lenses when I accidently chose key words that worked! But now, I am addicted to key word searches!
ReplyDeleteI'm still new at squidoo and at keywords, learned a bunch reading the free articles at wordtracker.com i think it was, but quickly discovered an entire week had gone by and i was feeling more overwhelmed and i wanted it to be fun. So my novice opinion is...Write what you want, then go back and worry about choosing the best keywords and editing the titles and content a bit to tweak it out...because the math/analytics for me...flattens the creativity like leaving a coke can open for a week.
ReplyDeleteI agree, Ger, that too much time spent researching keywords or anything else stifles the creativity. I've definitely been guilty of that recently and I'm ready to just jump back on in!
ReplyDelete