The question comes up often: What makes a great Squidoo lens?
Today it came up again in the SquidU forum, asked by lensmaster TheMedievalNun. She received some great responses. Here's mine:
Reading the lenses that Robin (rms) suggested is a great place to start. I would also suggest visiting and rating lots of lenses; it doesn't take long to recognize bad lenses, good lenses, and really good lenses. Then do what the really good lensmasters do!
As for what I think is a "great" lens, I like to see original content and interesting, useful information that is laid out in a way that flows and makes sense. I don't like extra modules that have nothing to do with the topic, and I don't like an over-the-top amount of graphics (though I know that "over the top" is in the eye of the beholder). And, of course, default module headers are a definite no-no.
I agree totally with what Paul (pkmcr) said above. It's always encouraging when people ask and genuinely want to know what they might need to do to improve their lenses. It's so easy to get stuck in a lensmaking rut, digging yourself into a hole of mediocrity. Interesting that so often it's the people who ask for help that are already making high-quality lenses. By glancing at a few of your lenses, Nun, I'd say you fall into that latter category. Congratulations!
There seems to special mix of graphics and text that makes the best lenses. and that mix does seem to be in the eye of the beholder
ReplyDelete