Frankly, when people practically beg for star ratings for their lenses, sometimes that seems a bit pushy (not always, some do it well) and I'm inclined to move on. Since self-promotion is far from my strong suit anyway, I'm not inclined to ask. However, recently I've started adding one little line, four or five little words, in a text module just below the comment box at the bottom of my lenses. I simply link those words to the lens itself, saying "Return to top of page" or "Back to the top." That provides an easy way to get back to the stars and, perhaps, a small reminder to the reader to go back to the top and color in those pretty stars. (See what I'm talking about at the bottom of this lens.)
I can't say whether or not it has improved my star feedback or not, but I figure it can't hurt and maybe, just maybe it will help. What do you think? Is it a good idea? Is it better just to ask? Is my approach too subliminal? Are you going to try it? Do leave a comment and let me know.
It's a good idea. At the bottom of all the lenses I'm making these days I have a text module without a title. It has boxed text with a background in which I plug the idea of joining Squidoo, plus there's a link that'll give me credit if someone does join and eventually makes $5 from Squidoo. Under that box is a link: Back to top. I figure it can't hurt to ask.
ReplyDeleteI do that on some of mine, too, MobyD. The "join Squidoo" plug I mean. I do have a number of people who have signed up with my link, but I don't know of a way to track exactly where they came from, unfortunately. Thanks for affirming my method. Hope it works well for both of us!
ReplyDeleteSusan
This is so cool, partnerships help us all. I recently started a blog with a fellow Squidooer and we are loving the response and excitement of doing it together. Congrats on making it to 100, I am inspired!
ReplyDeleteIn my latest lens, I spell it out in a section entitled, "About This Lens," -- so that I know that my reader knows. What they choose to do with the information is up to them. I don't feel that it's begging. I hope it doesn't come across that way!
ReplyDeleteI've had some success with a similar approach for getting stumbles. Towards the end, and on very long lenses maybe one other instance I put a "Thumb This Up" button with the appropriate link. It makes all the difference.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a good idea, and a subtle way to get your readers back to the stars. Thanks for sharing your terrific tips, Susan!
ReplyDelete