Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Why It's Okay to Make a Sales Lens

It isn't unusual for new lensmasters to worry about making "sales" lenses.  I know because I was one of those people who just wasn't sure why anyone would want to listen to me telling them what's best to buy. 

But I was looking at the subject the wrong way.  When I turned it around and put myself in the position of the shopper rather than the seller, then I remembered how appreciative I am, when I'm shopping online, to find a legitimately good product review or gift guide. 

When my outlook changed, then I became comfortable recommending products to people.  While I've made my share of awful lenses with product after product (the type of lenses that don't deserve the trust of a shopper) I finally learned to be a product reviewer, a personal shopper, a gift guide author who provides great customer service - instead of a salesperson who really doesn't care.

So if you're worried about making a "sales" lens, make a gift guide lens instead.  Research the products you present, anticipate and answer shoppers' questions, and provide a much-needed service.  This year the number of online shoppers is projected to be even higher than last year's huge number.  No doubt many of those folks will be looking for information so they can make good buying decisions.  Be their personal shopper.  Write your gift guides with real people in mind.  Pretend you're shopping with your best friend, providing advice and expert information to help her choose the best gifts.  Picture her smiling in the checkout line knowing that you, the Gift Guide, helped make her shopping - and buying - experience a good one.

Now, isn't that a great feeling? 

For more information, read 5 Tips for Creating a Niche Gift Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! You can learn more about me or my lenses on my Squidoo profile.