I've been following a rather intense discussion the last couple of days having to do with the differences in owning your own blog versus using a free blogging platform or participating in a multi-user blogging community. It's been a very lively debate and quite informative from a technical standpoint. The two main participants have their own definite preferences, but they've remained quite gentlemanly in the discussion.
The bottom line sticking point between the two is retention of total control of the individual blogger's content, layout, promotion, and rules. One prefers to maintain total and complete control; the other is satisfied that each individual blogger in the community that he established and oversees does have complete control over his or her own blog (within certain guidelines). Both have conceded, while standing firm in his own beliefs, that each method has its benefits and that it's up to the individual to decide which type of hosting arrangement is right for him/her.
So now I'm wondering: What do you think? Do you have experience, good or bad, with multi-user blogs? Are you happy with simply using a free Blogger blog or have you moved on to hosting your own? What is your preference and why? Click on the comment link and join the debate.
Susan, I have to say that my experience with Multi User Blog platforms has been very good.
ReplyDeleteA comment was made in the discussion you refer to that if you blog on a Multi User platform then all you are doing is getting traffic for the home page of that blog. However, in my experience that has definitely not been the case. Providing you research your niche properly and use strong keywords and phrases, then Google will send the traffic straight to your blog.
It is also important to research the TOS on the blogging platform you are considering using, to make sure you can do what you want to do, but again, my experience is that on the 2 multi user platforms I use (Crabbys Beach and Squidlog) any limitations are to do with topics you can blog about, not adding affiliate links.
It makes sense not to have all your eggs in one basket, so my advice is:
Use Multi User platforms to benefit from the strong community and the teaching that is often available but also self host. That way you get the best of both worlds.
I have both my own hosted blog and a blog on a multi user platform (Crabbys Beach).
ReplyDeleteI chose to self host one of my blogs because I wanted more control and I also wanted to learn how to do it. I was thinking that this might be where I start something big (maybe, hopefully) and that I would want it to have it's own brand.
My blog on the multi user platform was moved there for a reason. It fits in with the community. (somewhat.. not too many gamers around there now.) I like the support offered and the fact that we all had something in common with many of the blogs there. I thought the community might help my little blog grow to be a bigger blog.
It's all about what works best for you and your blog. AJ is right, make sure you read the TOS on any platform. After all, it may end up being a permanent home for your blog.
I started my own Blogger blog in attempt to diversify my online writing outside of Squidoo. Not to have all my eggs in one basket, so to speak.
ReplyDeleteDoing so hasn't proven easy and probably would have been easier on a multi-user platform where there is support on many levels right from the very beginning. However, I am pleased with what I have done so far and hope that by next Christmas I will have enough traffic that at least some of my movie sales will be independent ones.
I do both: I participate in several squidoo community blogs, as well as have my own (yes plural) self hosted blogs.
ReplyDeleteFor me it's simple: I put my best content where I own it, where I control it, where the ad-income goes to me 100%, and where it's my brand on the line.
The free platforms that DO have some sort of ad system are the ones I trust best, as they will be able to stay up. However, in the end, hosting is cheap enough that I can easily afford to put up my own stuff and make my own $$$.
BTW - I wonder where that original debate was?
The issue isn't central. Some great blogs are publicly hosted, like Seth Godin's. But then, his main source of income isn't that blog is it? The blog is purely for PR, getting an audience. For most of us it's both at once: we want to get an audience, express ourselves and also
I have both, but the blogs I have the most pride in seem to be my own. I just don't have as much of a connection to the Blogspot, or multi-user platform blogs:-) Plus I'm a huge Wordpress fan, I love all the widgets, plugins, and theme choices.
ReplyDelete